Domino’s Pizza Inc is an American multinational company which has spread the branch network to many international markets. The headquarters of the organisation is situated at Michigan, United States. Domino’s Pizza is functioning in the Sri Lankan market under the franchising international business method. The Sri Lankan franchise of Domino’s Pizza is handled by Jubilant Food Works Ltd and it was launched to the Sri Lankan market during the year of 2011. Currently the organisation has won many hearts with their internationally recognised taste and the brand name is famous as the high quality pizza provider to the Sri Lankan market.
Domino’s Pizza is an international organisation which is functioning in Sri Lanka under the franchising international business method. Earlier the organisation was functioned mainly with traditional business methods. The organisation was taking orders from the visiting customers and telephone calls. But during the technological advancements many fast food organisations are using various technological methodologies to improve the market shares to the organisations.
Domino’s Pizza was introduced to the Sri Lankan market when Pizza Hut was dominating in the Sri Lankan Pizza market. The high level of market share was owned by Pizza Hut at that time and the Domino’s Pizza found much harder time to capture the existing market share of the Sri Lankan market. Still Domino’s Pizza is facing the high level of challenge from Pizza Hut. Later Pizza Hut improved and differentiate their product portfolio to different fast foods, such as fries, burgers, etc. This was happened because major organisations such as KFC and McDonald’s started to functioning in the Sri Lankan market. Domino’s Pizza also differentiate their product portfolio according to the market competition.
The pizza and fast food industry is using various important food ingredients which make those foods are much pricier in the Sri Lankan market. Sri Lanka has a developing economic environment and because of that the sociological improvement of the country is slowly happening. The affordability of the Sri Lankan consumers are much lower because of the slowly developing and challenging economic conditions.
Because of this the fast food and pizza manufacturers in Sri Lanka is targeting the premium and middle class upper level customers. The target consumers of the organisations would have high level of affordability. In the overall assessment the consumers are much sensitive to the prices of the products. The consumers have various alternative options when it comes to the fast foods and because of that the pizza and high end fast food manufacturers are finding high level of challenges in the market.
All the competitors of Domino’s Pizza are targeting the consumers who have considerable affordability. Those customers have already built their faith towards those organisations. But this consumer base is not enough to those organisations and they are constantly finding various new ways to expand their market share in the industry. High level of promotional activities are conducted by those organisation to invite new customers to the organisations. Various consumer loyalty programmes, credit card offers and various other offers are provided by the organisation to attract new customers to the organisations. Domino’s Pizza is following the same marketing and promotional methodologies to attract new customers to the firm.
It was identified that the organisations in the need of improving their marketing and promotional functions of the organisation. Currently the organisations are functioning various traditional marketing strategies in the market to improve the market and consumer awareness. But today the younger population are using high number of digital devices and because of that many organisations are using digital marketing methods to approach the younger generation through the digital devices (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011).
The digital marketing functions are much easier to conduct and the management has high level of flexibility in controlling the marketing functions of the organisation (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011). Since the digital marketing functions are using the Internet and digital computing devices, the digital marketing activities would approach the expanded market area in the world (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011). Today many youngsters are using smart digital mobile devices and the organisations would be able to approach them directly through the digital marketing functions (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011).
During the report it would assess the current digital marketing functions of Domino’s Pizza and suggest various methodologies to improve the digital marketing functions of the organisation to achieve the higher market share to the organisation. Digital marketing functions are improving the opportunities to the marketers to approach many potential consumers directly (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011).
- Website – Currently the organisation has corporate website and regional website. The corporate website is covering all the information about the multinational company. Domino’s Pizza is providing all the necessary information about their headquarters and all the international functions through their corporate or the main website. To handle the activities in the Sri Lankan market, the organisation has regional website. The Sri Lankan consumers can make inquiries and orders through the regional website of Domino’s Pizza, Sri Lanka.
Figure 2. Domino’s regional website for Sri Lanka
- Mobile application – The organisation has developed mobile application which allows the consumer to gain information about the products and menus of the organisation. The consumer can place orders through the mobile application as well.
- Social media webpages – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Youtube social media webpages are maintained by Domino’s Pizza. Mainly the headquarters of the organisation is maintaining those social media webpages. Domino’s has a Facebook fan page for the Sri Lankan consumers. Mainly the promotions to the Sri Lankan market would be published through the Sri Lankan Facebook fan page. Below figure 2.1 depicts the Sri Lankan fan page of Facebook.
Figure 2. Facebook fan page of Domino’s Pizza Sri Lanka
- Online advertisements – Domino’s is conducting various online advertising functions in various blog and informational websites in Sri Lanka. Also currently there is a high level of user visits can be seen in the Sri Lankan gossip websites and the organisation is taking advantage of those websites to publish their online advertisements as well. Both free and paid advertisements are published through the websites of the Internet to improve the consumer awareness and to improve the brand building functions of the organisation.
- Search engine rank – The search engine ranks for the Domino’s Pizza website is high. When someone types Domino’s keyword in the search engine, the corporate website of the organisation would be displayed on the top of the result list. When it was searched using the keywords of “Domino’s Sri Lanka” the regional website of Domino’s Pizza Sri Lanka is displayed. When it was searched the keywords of “Sri Lanka Pizza” both Pizza Hut and Domino’s Pizza is listed on the top of the results.
For the competitor analysis it was selected Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut has been functioning in the market for much longer time than Domino’s Pizza. Also still high level of market share in the Sri Lankan market is owned by Pizza Hut.
- Website – Pizza Hut has both international and regional websites. The international website would represent the information about the multinational activities of Pizza Hut. The regional or local websites are limited to a certain international market. Pizza Hut, Sri Lanka also have local website which gives the various facilities to the customer. The customer can make various inquiries and orders through the local website of Pizza Hut. All the necessary information about the Pizza Hut menu and special offers would be displayed on the website.
- Mobile application – Pizza Hut has mobile applications which allow the customer to make various inquiries and orders to the organisation.
- Social media webpages – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Youtube social media webpages are maintained by Pizza Hut as well. Mainly Pizza Hut is focusing on the Facebook social media marketing in Sri Lanka. Because Facebook is much popular among the Sri Lankan youth and Facebook marketing functions are achieving the organisational expectations effectively.
- Online advertisements – Pizza Hut is using the benefit of online advertising to improve the market awareness about the new products. Not like Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut is differentiating their menu rapidly and those product portfolio improvements would be published through the online advertisements of the various blogs, gossip and social media webpages.
- Search engine rank – Pizza Hut has the similar level of ranking when it comes to the multinational level. The search engine would show the result on the top of the list when searching the word “Pizza Hut”. Also the local website for the Sri Lankan market would be popped when search using the “Sri Lanka” keyword. But in the Sri Lankan market, Pizza Hut has higher level of rank in the search engines because of the consumers have much positive perception towards the organisation and the website was visited by many customers.
In Sri Lanka pizza and all the fast foods are not making a permanent substitute for the main meals of the day. People are consuming those foods to enjoy the change of the life and also that would give the fun feeling to the life. But this is not similar to the developed and rich countries in the world. Most of the consumers of those countries are enjoying pizza and other fast food as their main meal. But the situation of Sri Lanka is much different and people eat those foods to give different to their lives and achieve the fun feeling while consuming the foods. Mainly the youngsters are looking for the fun feeling and difference of the life.
The youngsters are highly technology oriented in Sri Lanka. Most of the youngsters have smart phones and also they are using social media technologies heavily. Because of that the target customers are much positive to receive the digital marketing promotional activities effectively and efficiently (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011). So the organisation would not need to conduct external environment preparation to share the digital marketing functions because of that.
- Political – Some countries such as North Korea, China, etc. have limitations to the social media and various other websites of the Internet (Ryan, 2014). But many countries allow the digital marketing functions which allow the organisation to spread their messages globally (Ryan, 2014). The legal frameworks are still developing to the digital marketing activities, but still the organisations have to consider about the privacy and intellectual property protection during the digital marketing functions (Thomas, Housden and Thomas, 2011).
- Economical – Digital marketing functions are much economical and also environment friendly (Miletsky and Hand, 2014). The organisations would be able to reach much wider crowd through digital marketing activities (Miletsky and Hand, 2014). Also digital marketing functions are consuming much lower cost comparing to the traditional marketing functions.
- Sociological – Both positive and negative impact can be seen from the sociological environment. Some people have the negative perception towards the Internet and the social media activities (Miletsky and Hand, 2014). That is negative to the digital marketing functions because the digital marketing functions have high level of use of such technologies (Hanlon and Akins, 2012).
- Technological – Since the digital marketing functions are using the capabilities of the technological environment, high level of impact can be seen from this environment (Hanlon and Akins, 2012). But the development of the technological environment is rapidly increasing and that is positive to the digital marketing functions (Hanlon and Akins, 2012).
|Opportunities||SO strategies||WO strategies|
|Threats ||ST strategies||WT strategies|
Below it was conducted the Porter’s five forces analysis to the digital marketing functions of Domino’s Pizza.
- Bargaining power of supplier – In the digital marketing functions, the suppliers would be the parties who are providing the digital marketing interfaces and services (Hanlon and Akins, 2012). There is world class demand for the digital marketing interfaces and services. Because of that those parties are maintaining a regular or common pricing methodologies for the digital marketing functions (Greenberg and Kates, 2009). The supplier power is high.
- Bargaining power of consumer – Consumers are engaging with the digital marketing contents with the level of attractiveness of the content (Greenberg and Kates, 2009). The consumer fondness would not affect the functionalities of the digital marketing functions directly. Because of that the impact from this power factor is lower in the digital marketing functions (Dushinski and Marriott, 2009).
- Threat of new entrant – Various other organisations are effectively using the digital marketing activities with considerable level of flexibility (Greenberg and Kates, 2009). Little knowledge of technology would be required to handle most of the social media and digital marketing technologies (Dushinski and Marriott, 2009). The threat of new entrants to the methodologies is high in the market.
- Threat of substitutes – Traditional marketing functions are substitute for the digital marketing functions (Hanlon and Akins, 2012). Still people are favouring the traditional marketing functions and also those functions have high level of conversion rates in the market (Hanlon and Akins, 2012). Because of that the organisations would require to follow mix methods to conduct marketing functions. The threat can be considered as moderate.
- Threat of existing rivalry – There are competitors in the market who are also using the capabilities of the digital marketing functions and they are gaining high level of success through those functions (Greenberg and Kates, 2009). Also they are adapting the new ways to improve the digital marketing functions in the market as well. The threat can be considered as high (Dushinski and Marriott, 2009).
Below it was stated the objectives of the digital marketing activities to Domino’s Pizza.
- Achieve improved number of customers to the organisation through digital marketing functions.
- Achieve improved number of conversions of the customers.
- Achieve increased customer retention to the organisation.
- Improve the load time of the webpages of the organisation.
- Improve the mobile friendliness of the webpages.
- Improve the contents of the webpages into much consumer attractive manner.
- Improve the consumer time spending in the website and other webpages.
Below it was stated the key performance indicators to the above objectives where the organisation should achieve upon successful achievements of the objectives.
- Measurement of the return visitors and the number of visitor to the organisational web pages and social media webpages.
- Increased time spent on the organisational webpages.
- Increase interaction and collaborative activities with the fans in the social media webpages.
- Organic traffic increments to the organisational websites.
- High number of download rates of the websites and the mobile applications.
- Increasing SEO ranking.
Domino’s Pizza wants to improve their current market share to the organisation and also improve the consumer engagement to the organisation. The proposed digital marketing objectives are aligned to achieve those expectations in the market. Domino’s Pizza wants to improve their marketing and promotional activities in the country to improve the brand awareness and attract high volume of consumers which would increase the organisational revenue generation eventually.
According to the assessment it was identified that the organisation is maintaining a better enjoyable environment to the younger population of the country. Since the younger population of the country is highly technology oriented and because of that they user various digital devices to ease their day to day communication and pleasure needs (Dodson, 2012).
So the organisation would be able to attract much younger population to the organisation through the digital marketing functions (Chaffey and Smith, 2017). The target consumer group is high tech oriented and because of that the organisation would be able to reach the target population much successfully and convert them to the viable consumer group to the organisation (Chaffey and Smith, 2017).
Digital marketing functions can be conducted both in ethical and unethical manner. Mainly the website cookies are collecting the user behaviour in the Internet and those privacy contents are used for the purpose of improving the success of the digital marketing functions (Chaffey and Smith, 2017). Not only that various unethical and forceful methods can be seen in the subject area of digital marketing and those should be avoided by the organisation much effectively (Chaffey and Smith, 2017).
The customer preference, their fondness to receive the advertisement and their likeliness should be identified by the organisation ethically and also it is required to avoid unethical and annoying practices as much as possible when conducting the digital marketing functions in the organisation (Chaffey and Smith, 2017).
Domino’s Pizza has been conducting various digital marketing functions in Sri Lanka for a longer timeframe. The proposed objectives to the organisation are suggesting that the organisation should improve the current methodologies of the digital marketing activities to improve the consumer engagement of the current market of the organisation.
|Existing products||New products|
|Existing market||Market penetration||Product development|
|New market||Market development||Diversification|
Figure 4. 1Ansoff matrix
Dominos is going to provide the existing products to the existing market and they want to improve the existing market share through market penetration activities (Blythe, 2006). All the marketing objectives are aligned to improve the market penetration activities of the organisation. It is essential to get the proper consultancy from the digital marketing experts in the market to identify the ways to reach the customers much successfully through the digital marketing channels development (Blythe, 2006).
According to the given objectives, Dominos should improve their market penetration activities through the digital marketing functions. Below it was assessed the existing digital marketing channels of the organisation and upcoming or suggested digital marketing channels to the organisation.
- Existing digital marketing channels
- Website and mobile application – Dominos has state of the art websites to improve the consumer awareness about the organisation and its products. The organisation is maintaining an international web site to describe their multinational business activities and regional or local website to ease out the business activities of the individual international markets. The consumer has the ability of engaging with the organisation through those websites. The online orders, menu assessment and special offers can be searched through the website. Also the mobile application of the organisation is also allowing much flexibility to the users. Consumer can use their mobile devices to improve their awareness about the organisation and also purchase or order various product through the mobile application of the organisation.
- SEO – Dominos has high level of SEO rank in the search engines. The organisational website and various related other URLs would be listed on the top of the results when the user has executed the relevant search keywords. This is much positive to the organisation, because this indicates that the brand awareness is high in the digital marketing and cyberspace (Chaffey and Smith, 2017). This level should be maintained properly and continuously in the organisation to retain the SEO rankings.
- Display online advertisements – Dominos is currently using the options of the online advertisements. They are currently using the news, gossip, classified and various other blogs websites to display their online advertisements to the target consumer groups.
- Upcoming digital marketing channels of the organisation.
- Paid search marketing – Almost all the search engines are allowing the paid search marketing to the companies. Through paid search marketing the firm would be able to display their advertisement according to the search query of the customer (Chaffey and Smith, 2017). The paid search marketing functions would improve the number of popups of the search results and also that would improve the SEO rank of the organisational webpages, since the consumers are visiting the advertised links under their search queries (Chaffey and Smith, 2017).
- Social media paid marketing – Dominos already has social media webpages and fan pages in all the famous social media websites. The firm is maintaining a good fan base to the organisation through those social media webpages (Chaffey and Smith, 2017). But the current investment should be improved to implement the market penetration activities. It is essential to introduce the social media paid advertisements to the organisational digital marketing functions to improve the consumer engagement to the social media fan pages (Chaffey and Smith, 2017).
Website and mobile application – High priority task, it is required to continuously improve the contents of the website, social media web pages and mobile application to improve the consumer engagement to the digital marketing contents of the organisation.
SEO – This task is moderate priority task. Domino’s Pizza has much better SEO ranks and the current methodologies of improving the SEO ranks are performing well. Those activities should be well maintained and also it is essential to adapt new methods to improve the SEO functions according to the technological improvements of the industry.
Display online advertisements – This is a high priority task. The online advertising functions are increasing the consumer awareness and brand loyalty in the market. Also the online advertisements are much cheaper and the target population for the advertisements are very high. The organisation should continuously publish online advertisements to gain higher market share to the organisation.
Email marketing – This is a moderate priority task. Commercial Bank is currently conducting this function to improve the engagement of the consumers to the organisation. So the existing methodologies can be improved to attract more user interactions to the bank, its websites and social media webpages.
Paid search marketing – Currently the organisation has considerable SEO rankings. But it is helpful to improve and retain the current SEO rank of the organisation through paid search marketing functions. This task is moderate priority task.
Social media paid marketing – High priority task to the organisation. Since the user engagement is high in the social media web pages, the organisation should implement more social media advertising functions to attract the high level of engagement to the social media web pages of the organisation.
Under the report it was assessed the digital marketing functions of Domino’s Pizza. Currently the organisation has been functioning various digital marketing activities in the market to attract more consumer to the organisation. All those activities were assessed during the report and it was identified new objectives to be achieved during the upcoming months of the marketing plan of the organisation. It was suggested that the organisation should improve the market penetration activities through the digital marketing functions to improve the number of customer visits and revenue generation to the organisation.
Blythe, J. (2006). Marketing. London: SAGE Publications.
Carter, B. (2011). Digital marketing for dummies. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons.
Chaffey, D. and Smith, P. (2017). Digital Marketing Excellence. Florence: Taylor and Francis.
Dodson, I. (2012). The art of digital marketing.
Dushinski, K. and Marriott, L. (2009). The mobile marketing handbook. Medford, N.J.: CyberAge Books/Information Today.
Greenberg, E. and Kates, A. (2009). Strategic digital marketing.
Hanlon, A. and Akins, J. (2012). Quick win digital marketing. Cork, Ireland: Oak Tree Press.
Miletsky, J. and Hand, M. (2014). Perspectives™ On Marketing. Boston: Course Technology, PTR.
Rowan, W. (2002). Digital marketing. London: Kogan Page.
Ryan, D. (2014). The best digital marketing campaigns in the world II. London [u.a.]: Kogan Page.
Thomas, B., Housden, M. and Thomas, B. (2011). Direct and digital marketing in practice. London: A. & C. Black.